Youth, College, Adult and Family Mission Trips to Costa Rica


Visit www.STRONGMISSIONS.com for group info and many more details...

Monday, August 29, 2011

Farewell from Molly....






It is not what you give, but what you do with what you have been given. In June 2007, I was called to become a missionary. At first I was like why me……I am just a small, tiny woman, I don’t know another language, I don’t want to give everything up……but God doesn’t pick the equipped, he equips those he picks. So I trained and became an UMVIM (United Methodist Volunteer in Mission) through the General Board of Global Ministry (GBGM). I sold everything and went to Costa Rica to be a volunteer with Strong Missions for the summer of 2011.

I didn’t know what to expect, but I know I was called to serve. Little did I know how much this experience would transform my life. Many groups think they are “building” a home, but they are really building hope, dignity and restoring faith to people. Many will ask “but why God?”, but let’s change that to “but what can we do God?” Every week for 10 weeks, I met a different group or family……17 in total. I enjoyed learning your names, your story and why you were here serving and I hope you enjoyed mine. Y’all will forever be in my heart and prayers. I was touched by so many people (groups, staff, interns, etc..) and I will always treasure all of these great memories.

I would also like to share a prayer that was written by Archbishop Oscar Romero.

This is what we are about. We plant the seeds that one day will grow. We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise. We lay foundations that will need further development. We provide yeast that produces effects far beyond our capabilities. We can’t do everything and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something and do it very well. It may be incomplete, a step along the way, an opportunity for the Lord’s grace to enter and do the rest. We may never see the end results but that is the difference between the master building and the worker. We are workers, not master buildings, ministers, not messiahs. We are prophets of a future not of our own. Amen.

Blessings and hugs,
Molly Cook

P.S. My next assignment is with Pharr Literacy Project in Pharr Texas until May 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Love you too, Molly!

    Also, thanks for including that prayer...I used to have that on my wall a number of years ago but had forgotten about it until now. Good reminder.

    --Scott

    ReplyDelete