Youth, College, Adult and Family Mission Trips to Costa Rica


Visit www.STRONGMISSIONS.com for group info and many more details...

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Farewell From Rebecca

One, two, three, and three, and, two and three, and okay, and JUMP!

Well, it has been 2 weeks. 2 weeks since I no longer work for Strong Missions. 2 weeks that I have been trying to think of how to write my “goodbye”. 2 weeks of decompressing and I still can’t believe that after 4 years of full-time work, I now am “jobless”. The mission was my life. Serving the groups was my life. Serving the community was my life. The relationships I built with the staff, community members and locals is my life. I can’t even begin to summarize what the mission has meant to me- how it has made me grow as a person and grow closer to God. I’m speechless and for those who know me... crying, tears of sadness and tears of great joy, so very emotional.

And now? Sitting here, waiting patiently, praying, discerning, listening, thinking, and mediating what God’s purpose in my life is. Thousands of ideas have been running through my head of where to go and what to do next. They were there since before I announced I was leaving. I have learned so much from my experience with Strong Missions and need time to process it before I move on to start my own mission in Costa Rica, God willing... a HUGE leap of faith, but I’m ready. It’s not about what the future holds, but who holds the future, and giving complete control over to Him, and He will guide you down beautiful paths. 

When asked what I did for the mission, I could never answer in a short phrase. I think it was best summed up one day when it was mentioned that we are like den moms. I had to chuckle because I didn't know what a den mom was responsible for. Then it was explained to me... a little bit of everything... in charge of helping with meals, gathering the “troops”, running meetings, working, serving, cleaning, laundry, organization, fundraising, playing, smiling, enjoying, taking care of, logistics etc., I however, would like to sum it up by saying we did life together. 

I am so grateful for the relationships that I have built over the years. It is through these amazing relationships with the staff and locals that I have been able to stay and serve in Costa Rica so long and not go running back to the comforts of “home”. This has become my home. Service is not easy and comes with trials and tribulations, but also pleasure and fulfillment that we are doing what the Lord our God has called us to do.  I have felt the uttermost love and affection from the teams as they passed through. They also were vital to keep me going, and at many times were in God’s perfect timing the ones to pray with me and for me when I felt down or struggling or uncertain that I was doing what was in God’s will. 

I could thank everyone here personally, but that would take pages, but I’m definitely going to take this opportunity to publicly thank Bonnie Albert for “introducing” me to missions (first a Spring Break trip to Mexico) and then to Strong Missions and Charlie back in 2008. I would not be the person I am today without that simple phone call to her 6 years ago when I said I was going to Costa Rica to study, but felt lead to do more and then she connected me to Charlie and thus my journey began.  

To Charlie and the staff (past and present): Thank you!... that’s all cuz I’m going to start to cry again... I love you all! You are my family and I’m so thankful that God has made our paths cross.
A Charlie y a todo el equipo de Strong Missions: Gracias! Es todo porque voy a empezar a llorar otra vez. Yo los amo con todo mi corazón. Son mi familia y estoy tan agradecida que Dios les puso en mi camino. 

Again, I could go on with my “goodbye”, but this is not a goodbye, but rather an “until we meet again”. Please stay in touch: freiburgerose@hotmail.com. (I’ll meet you at the beach... jaja)

For those of you that don’t know, God willing, I will be getting married in the Evangelical Methodist Church in Carrillos on Jan. 17th, 2015. My fiance, Erick, and I will be moving to San Jose and starting a mini-mission close-by... we definitely will be helping feed children somewhere in or around San Jose as that that has always been on my heart. Please know that each and every one of you helped mold me and I am forever indebted. Please continue to hold us in your prayers.

God’s love and blessings to all of you and a big HUG from me!

Erick and I

Hopkinsville UMC and the volcano Poás...
still not sure if it existed in 2014

My babies

My babies

Bleacher project at San Luis Elementary School in Carrillos
with University of Texas engineering team

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, congrats to you for taking the leap and faithfully feeling out your next steps. And, of course, for all of your work at SM. I feel very fortunate to count you as a friend--the fact that we had to fight for/with it makes it all the more valuable. Please stay in touch. Wedding invite??

    To everyone else at SM, also please stay in touch! I hope the transition to the new location goes well and that you continue to do great work!

    --Scott

    ReplyDelete